110 years on from the opening of Charlton Cemetery, it has been given a facelift.
A ceremony and short service was held there on Sunday 5th May to mark the removal of overgrown and decaying trees and their replacement with new ones.
The service was conducted by Rev Roger Bellamy and attended by parishioners from St James' Church, Newbottle and villagers from Charlton.
The trees are planted in the shape of a cross with the War Memorial at its centre. The arms of the cross are planted with English yew and around the war memorial are four whitebeams to provide a cheerful centrepiece.
The cemetery ground was gien to the parish by the owner of Newbottle Manor in 1903 and a plaque recording the replanting has been donated by the current owners of the manor, Mr John Townsend and Lady Juliet Townsend.
The work was funded by the residents of Charlton and Newbottle, the Parocial Church Council and assisted by grants from Viridor Credits Environmemtal Company through the Landfill Communities Fund and the BIG lottery through "Awards for All"
Photographs below show Rev Roger Bellamy together with Mr John Townsend and Lady Juliet Townsend with the Plaque marking the occassion.