Charlton, a small village with only some 500 habitants is fortunate to be one of the few rural villages who have many benefits envied by many larger communities
The Newbottle and Charlton Church of England Primary School, founded in 1872. - The children at the school aged 4-11 years enjoy a broad and balanced curriculm in a caring environment and come from Charlton, Aynho and many of the surrounding villages. www.newbottleandcharlton.ik.org
The Charlton Memorial Hall - which has been refurbished to accommodate all the current village activity groups and is available to hire for private functions. The village has this central community centre, with many acitivity groups for young and old alike, featured on this website. www.charltonmemorialhall.co.uk
A thriving public house The Rose and Crown offers excellent food and beverages!
The village also has a shop, a playing field with active football and cricket teams, a stable, plus a working forge within its boundary, with St. James' Church in Newbottle is just a short walk away and has been serving the community for some 800 years.
Our village can also boast historic connections, such as Rainsborough Camp and buildings centuries old which have all been recently documented in book form the celebrate the coming of the Millennium, in the publcation "Charlton and Newbottle -The History of Two Villages" Available from Walnut House 01295 811176
The area can be traced back to the enclosure of Charlton 1772, though the Newbottle lands had been enclosed centuries before.
The village has many local activity groups with individual webpage features on this site: The Newbottle and Charlton Playing Field Association established in 1970 who hosts the Cricket and Football teams. (In 1969 the playing field was
but a ploughed field, village cricket took place in the stone pits and football on
In December 1969 Mr Fred Loggin met Lady Birkenhead and she agreed to the letting of the present field for that purpose. Construction of the field started on 23 August 1971 at the cost of £950-0s-0d.
The area has connections with the Birkenhead family since the early 1900's, who's decendants still reside and own areas within the village, taking pride in keeping this village truly rural and enjoyable for all.